Thread: The Apache
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
-hooch-

Re: The Apache

Next up, we finally got it in the shop. Took it all the way down to the cab and the frame. Here we got to work on the firewall and cleaning up the inside of the cab.

Tacked in the floor. It probably would have been fine if the last owner wouldn't have widdled on it like they did. It's solid everywhere else that you can see.

We made a plate to cover the hole where the old column and shifter went. We also had to extend the hole out to get the brake pedal to come through nicely. Thank goodness for the plasma cutter.

The steering column all the way out.

Better picture of the brake mount

I learned to weld starting with the frame. Really the whole truck has been a learning experience for me. I didn't know a whole whole lot about cars before this one. Just the basics and a lot of cosmetic stuff from my mustang. Welded up the crossmember and ground it smooth.

And then started on the firewall... Boy was that a long project. There were about a thousand holes it feels like.

Closeup of the passenger's side.

The middle.

And driver's side.

Then I started working on the seat. I took off the plastic covers on the side that they started putting on the newer cars. I hate that plastic stuff, and I wanted to keep it going with the original theme. I also cleaned up the brackets and repainted them and the springs.

Without the covers. I think it looks much better, and we'll polish some smooth headed bolts and put those on there. They'll look nice when its done.