View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #87
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: post up your camping pics

Great pictures! I can’t wait for the season to get going! It’s been a long hard winter and I can’t wait to get out. Our first trip is coming up in May. Headed to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff then heading back up to explore more in the Utah Canyonlands area. I can’t wait for that week to get here!

I haven’t done much to the truck itself in preparation for this season other than addressing some annoyance items and cosmetic things on body and interior (pulled doors to adjust, readjust and adjust some more, adjusted the entire front clip and installed new door panels). The body needed a lot of adjustments here and there from years of getting flexed and tweaked off-road. The doors were getting to the point they didn’t want to shut anymore and the bottoms were rattling on the rocker panels. They shut better than new now.

Even though the truck hasn’t gotten much attention the camper sure has. I ran it up to the camper builder in March where they remodeled the kitchen area by removing the old sink set up and old stovetop. The old stove top was a Suburban brand unit, which are in just about every RV built in the last few decades. They are great pieces but they rattle like crazy and I was looking for something more modern and takes up less space. They hooked me up with a Stove/sink combo unit and I really love it! Can’t wait to get a chance to use it in the real world. While it was at their shop they also installed the 100W solar panel for me. Once I got it home I handled the controller wiring and rearranged just about everything I had packed in there. When I was done I found a hidden compartment which I opened up revealing over 1 cubic foot of storage. 1 cubic foot of storage is HUGE in a little truck camper. The solar should really help on those trips where we may sit in one spot for more than a day as the National Luna refrigerator is 100% electric. Even though it is 100% electric it doesn’t draw much current but after about 3 day of the truck not moving the fridge starts to run pretty flat.

Before: This worked alright for a few years.

After: This opens up a lot more room when the stove and sink are not in use. No more rattles either! I hate rattles!!

Added a 100W solar system as well. Will be perfect when parked in the same spot for a day or more.

Anxious to get out and see how this new stove/sink and solar perform!

This is where we are going in Canyonlands! The Doll House in the Maze District. We briefly rolled through this spot in 2010.

We'll be seeing lot of this too. Camping next to this cliff is a thrill. Just becareful when you get up at 2 AM to use the beer return station. That first step is a doozy!

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 04-13-2014 at 11:16 PM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote