Thread: '57 2Dr Sedan
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #28
Ironhorse

Re: '57 2Dr Sedan

Well here it is early Feb of '19 and a little up date again.

Had the surgery on my thumb joint Jan 17, stitches out on Feb 1st. The thumb does not "lock" on me anymore and the aching gone. Been doing physical therapy type exercises since stitches out. Do them four times a day at 10 repetitions each with 7 exercises. Thumb gets a bit tired after but seems getting stronger each day. Actually getting a bit of a grip strength back. So far so good.

57 is progressing along. The UPS guy sure knows where I live. Ordering nearly every piece of rubber and seal known to exist on a 57 Chevy. Still a few more pieces to go. Got another driver side glass to replace original that has a chip out of the upper front corner. All the glass is out to include the front wind shield and the back glass. Brought those two pieces home for storage until time for install. Replace last 10'' of the trunk tail pan from left to right along with the tail pan brace. Body is completely stripped of paint down to the bare metal. Counted 7 distinct layers of paint on rear quarter panels from my applied primer for racing years ago down to the factory primer. 57 must be about 20 lbs lighter now.

Getting closer to time for the first primer coat and then the block and sand to find the high low spots. Trying to figure out a stitch pattern for my interior,
leaning toward a 2'' rolled pleat with side panels. With back glass out would be a good time to figure for my rear package tray speakers. First have to convince myself to cut the package tray which to date is just like it left the factory.

Figured out from my VIN number my 57 was built in Kansas City early afternoon of the shift on Monday Dec. 31st, 1956. Got that info from a Tri-five board I belong to. Wow, that was a piece of nice to know trivia, LOL First 57s built in Kansas City rolled off the line in mid-Sept. of 56.

Posting a few pics of the progress and one of all the items found so far during the rebuild. Smaller group to the left of the pic with two pocket knives, beer opener and feeler gauges was found when the front clip was removed. The items to the right, another beer opener, comb, hair clips, pencils/pens, golf tee and two REALLY dried up cigarettes were between the wind shield and the front dash molding. The cigarettes looked suspiciously like the "roll your own" variety until we got them out, LOL. but they are factory with filter tips.

Bit of a long post but just some more progress and pics along the way. Ways to go yet but progress is being made.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote