Thread: S10 Swap how to
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #59
skymangs

Re: S10 Swap how to

Lets spend a little time on steering columns tonight. A lot of guys try to save a buck by re-using the stock S10 column. That works, but IMHO, they look like dookie... There's a lot of crap hanging below the column (pic 1), and keys belong in the dash on an old truck. But if that's what your build calls for, here's how I go about setting an S10 column up for a swap.

First I open the firewall hole about 2" more to the left (covered earlier). Then I make a poster board template (2 pieces) to fit over the column and match the angle of the toeboard/firewall. Trace it on sheetmetal, then cut it out. Next I make a small "drop bracket" for the column. I make the bracket so that it uses the same bolts as the pedal assembly to attach it. (pic 2 and 3)

Then I attach the drop bracket to the dash, and hold the column in position while I tack weld the backside. Once that's done, the lower bracket (to firewall) gets positioned and tacked. Then I pull the whole thing out, and seam the backsides so it doesn't show. (pic 4).

When it's all done, your drop bracket shouldn't even be visible. (pic 5)
Attached Images

skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote