View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
oldman3

Re: 1954 Truck, Mustang II, Caster Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I don't understand why you would need to move it so far,that is a MILE of caster, many degrees. So why is it mounted to the frame in such a way where the caster would be so little that you would need to move it that far? It should be mounted to the frame closer to where the desired caster is, that way it doesn't take that much movement.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've got to go with Martinsr on this. I couldn't understand why you had a caster issue when I saw the lead to the thread and when I opened it there is no caster issue,

This isn't a Ford transverse spring I beam front end that runs around 5 to 7 degrees of caster to track right..

A starting point of 2 to 2.5 degrees (actually you may not need that much) + caster with 1/2 degree + camber in the left wheel and 1/4 degree + camber in the right wheel and 1/8 toe in should be a good starting point for a truck that will track right running down the freeway at 70 MPH without an issue.
Note if you live in a country where you drive on the other side of the road the camber settings are reversed. The difference in camber between front wheels compensates for the crown "camber" of the road so the truck or anything else will drive straight down the road in the outside lane or the one next to it and you should be able to go hands off for a serious distance if it is set right.

You just don't ed a load of caster to have these rigs drive great with an MII front end under them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I was told they like to see 4 to 5 degrees of caster with power steering. With the Mustang II suspensions where the upper mount is welded to the side of the frame the control arm will hit before you get that much, not all Mustang II kits are designed that way.
Akeane01, Some good info from above members. I agree you shouldn't have any caster issue, but camber may be a problem. This is my reasoning, from your pics your upper spring mount ( I call top hat) is below the top of frame. In all the cars and trucks that I've installed MII, all had the top hat on top of frame. I'M NOT SAYING YOURS IS WRONG, JUST NEVER SEEN IT THIS WAY.

I've used Heidt's, TCI, Fatman, Speedway and Scotts. Here's a few pic on what I'm talking about.

Pic 1 and 2 showing location of top hat and top of frame.
Pic 3 is on my 50 pickup, you can see how close the upper arm is toward the frame, and very little diference in crossshaft on setting the caster. I run 4* on mine.
Pic 4 is the new TCI and Fatman design to use shims and no slots. This is a great ideal.
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote