View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #14
ChevyTech

Re: Low oil pressure.

I logged off and I went to the kitchen to get a snack. I got a good idea the next question is going to be, how do you get the broken elbow out of the engine block?

Another thought is – have you checked to see is the oil is diluted with fuel? Has the truck flooded lately?

22 to 25 PSI of oil pressure is enough sitting at a red light with a warm engine. You could drive it for years this way. At least until it is warm out again. The high temp here today was 6 F. Maybe it is warm where you are, or you have a heated garage, but if you break off the elbow the job just got a bit bigger.

Quote:
theres no way to test it with the engine off? I dont think it will start or run with the sender unplugged, but then again I dont know.
The test I wanted you to do was “Turn the key to the on position” NOT run the engine.

Quote:
Does it read lbs of vacuum or pressure, so could I take the sender off and hook my mighty vac to it or put my air nozzle from the compressor to it and put a little air pressure to it?
Now I got an image in my mind of you with an oil sender in one hand, an air hose in your other hand, and your face covered with oil.

Oil pressure changes the resistance of the sending unit. With low oil pressure it has a low ohm reading. With high oil pressure, somewhere around 80 PSI (Pounds per square Inch), it should have approximately 90 ohms of resistance.

I can picture the three wire oil sender circuit in my mind but I am having a little trouble remembering a two wire oil sender and where the redundant fuel supply circuit gets its power.

Quote:
Can I safely clean the sender?
I have never though of even trying that. I don’t know what is inside them. They are CRAP and are known high failure part.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote