Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #83
8man

Re: Wife's 48

I had a great Father's Day weekend. I got about 10 hours of shop time and spent it on the firewall of the 48.

This is what the firewall looked like when I started, at least the driver's side.
IMG_1790 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Now I do have a question since I bought 2 trucks and both were completely dissembled. There are four indented holes on the top of the firewall. They are spaced to look like they go to an interior brace, actually two braces. Will I need them when I go back together?

Then I started filling holes.
IMG_1938 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
You can see I left the four holes until I hear to fill them or not.

Now time for some of the larger holes.
IMG_1940 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

And finally
IMG_1942 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
Another question here. I plan to use an aftermarket steering column, so do I fill the old hole and cut a new one?

End of day on the rider's side.
IMG_1941 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

One more question here, I think I saw where some have used that hole inside where the fender will mount for an AC line or something, or should I fill it too? I was thinking fill it and then put the AC/heater lines where the fit the best.

NO, I am not finished touching up the finished product. I have to check for pinholes and then finish up the grinding, you can see some shadows where I have not gotten all the weld smoothed out. I'm still doing some "gorilla" welds, getting better, but not good yet. The last welds of the day were a lot better, but I just ran out of time.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote