Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #60
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

While I was waiting for paint to dry I was looking at my floors and noticed something I didn't like. Cold welds. I had finished the drivers side floor pan replacement a couple months ago, you know, back when I didn't realize the polarity settings on the welder was wrong.... So little did I know those welds were really cold. And I think someone even noticed on here and told me but it still didn't really register until I saw good penetrating welds after I fixed the welder settings.

So I ground down the under side welds and re-welded the entire seam. And I'm glad I did because I had a couple spots just burn straight through because I had welded the metal too thin. I also had pin holes in the cold welds and re-welding from the bottom side really penetrated well and sealed all those pin holes us nicely.

Here is some of the progress.

Here is the top side and you can see the penetration is good.

All buttoned up, weld thru primer coated and ready to burn in my new supports.

I love seeing the weld penetration now, it just makes me feel better about the metal work being a solid long lasting fix.

And FYI I scuffed and sprayed weld thru primer on the under side of those replacement support pieces. I still have a few more spot welds to finish up on the supports and then I will drill the seat belt holes and weld the nut to the bottom of the support like factory did it.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote