View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #28
iriereggaeman

Re: any suggestions for brake upgrades?

My rotors and brake pads had finally reached the end of their days. I wanted to upgrade my front brakes, and thought I'd pair the already-installed Wilwood Hydroboost with a nice Wilwood front brake kit:
https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...n&option=4+x+4

Specs for this kit showed an exact replacement for D52 front calipers and my stock 15" Rally wheels.

Unfortunately, after installation of the entire kit, it was determined that the new Wilwood calipers DID NOT have enough clearance for my stock 15" wheels! I didn't have budget to spring for new larger wheels (17"?), and tires, so I was in a real pickle. My 'burb couldn't be driven. I suppose I coulda returned the Wilwood kit, but I'd still be out the labor $, and I still needed new brakes.

My mechanic had some 15" alloy wheels he thought he'd give a try. They DID fit. So, I traded my wheels for his, allowing me to get the remaining life out of my tires. I think he got a much better deal, but sometimes you get in a pinch and have to makes decisions, ya know?

Anyhow, I thought I'd post some info and photos here to help others who may be thinking about the Wilwood brake upgrades.

I'll start looking around for some nice wheels that would look good on my truck nearer the end of my tire life. I'm sure there are some good threads here to look at for ideas! Suggestions please.

Name:  IMG_5671.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5794.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5866.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5867.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  76.3 KB