View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #91
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

I have an issue that I've yet to find an answer to let alone anyone with the same scenario.
I rewired my 72 c10 with an American autowire kit back in 2014. Tonight after making the 30 mile trip home in the rain and my wipers on high. I reached up under the dash to try and track down some back feed noise I'm getting coming out of the Kenwood speakers. The damn wiper motor case was cookin hot! Almost burnt the back of my hand it was so hot.
Some history, I bought the truck back in 2004 from my ex's dad. He said that the washer pump started pumping after he hit the wiper switch and it pumped the reservoir dry. So he disconnected the washer pump. Jump ahead to 2014 and I rewired the entire truck. I completely forgot about the washer pump issue. I never noticed a noise or any issue for that matter. But about a year ago I was messing with the wiring under the dash and the damn wiper motor was hot. So I read up on the wiring and decided I could pull the dark blue wire from the wiper switch and the washer pump connector but still have wiper function.
So that's what I did and it worked fine.
So, tonight I replaced my instrument bulbs with LEDs and the old thermal flasher relays with new LL Novita Electronic Flashers. The old flasher relays were grounded to the damn fuse panel. It took my about 20 minutes to disconnect the 2 flasher relays, resulting in completely breaking the old relays and extracting the broken terminal ends with small needle nose pliers. Installed the new LEDs and flashers and everything was fine.
Until I got home and reached up under the dash to find the damn wiper motor super hot again!
So I pulled the washer pump feed that connects to the washer pump and jumps to the wiper motor, I now only have the single black connector along with the light blue and white lead connector plugged into the wiper motor. The wipers work in both slow and high settings. But the damn case is still cooking hot.

ANY THOUGHTS?

I could care less about the washer pump functioning but the wipers HAVE TO WORK. I just don't wanna damage anything by just having the wipers and no washer pump...

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote