View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
MARTINSR

Re: panel adhesive in colder weather ?

Saturns had the roof glued on like that from the factory and many other cars too, the glue didn't fail, the application did.

You know another thing about that which caught my eye, the windshield! The windshield is a structural part of that car and it's not a attached anywhere, I am thinking that played as big a part as the roof coming off.

We just put a quarter on a 2018 BMW following manufactures guidelines, it was glued over the entire thing even at the B and C pillar seams! It had rivets here and there, even POP RIVETS! We went right by the manufacturers guidelines to the letter, bought ever rivet from them, and the adhesive.

We did a 7 series a number of years ago where the frame rail was bonded right behind the front bumper reinforcement! That was ALL that held the spliced frame rail on, a metal backing inside glued in, that was IT.

I really have to wonder what the big deal is when there is very close to ZERO collision design in these trucks, and what they could have used is 50-70 years old thinking!

Out side of where the seat is bolted and the seat belts, done properly that adhesive is going to hold a LOT better than the rusty welds that are there now.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote