View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Steven R

color sample What the best way???(long read sorry)

I am getting ready to decide on a color for my truck. 1971 gmc 3/4 ton Longhorn. Color code 582 White/Med Bronze/White.
I asked my local auto-body paint suppler to mix up a 1/2 pint to get a few sample sprayed out We came up with white being a GM code 521 and the bronze code a 522.

I will be using the Matrix Paint line of products. My goal is to get a very close match to the original but with a slightly larger speckle/flake in the bronze color. I also got some reducer with a 1/2 pint of the white as well. now he tell me that I will need to clear coat the color which I am fine with.

my questions is I want a color sample sprayed out so I can take it out side and in different places to see what it will look like and to insure I am getting what I am looking for with the flake/speckle look. I mix the small pint with a paint stick and then left it out to dry the color in nearly spot on but the flake is very hard to see, so I will have to get this changed to my liking or is this not the right way to do a frist impression (FYI I will have to pay a shop to spray and I dont have the skill or tool to paint so I don't want to waste money if my frist impression is right but I dont know if I am doing it wrong would clear coating make the sparkle that much more ?)
is it worth the time to prime paint and clear the sample peaces or should I just spray the color as per the suppliers suggestion. the sample peice I will have no use for other then to hang was wall art later.

Also why does he not want me to have the formula for the paint mix for my records so that this can be match in a later date heaven forbid needing to.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote