View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
TKCR

Re: 73-87 bench designs - how many are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Thanks for the info TKCR. So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that for a given year model, there were not different frames & foam for different trim levels on the truck.

Since the foam I have doesn't work for 81-87, and doesn't work for the 79 bench, are you suggesting that all I have to do (haha - not so easy to find!) is find a 73-76 bench and it will work? Basically I'm thinking a junkyard bench is cheaper than the cost of returning the heavy, bulky foam and upholstery that I already have.
There are 2 frames, that I know of. And there are 2 styles of foam. Both are 73-80 & 81-87. Then there are 3 tracks, which is explained in the above post. Now if the foam you got was for the 73-80, then I'm curious as to why it doesn't fit. That might be something you call where you got and talk to them about. I have to admit, I have not ever seen personally, a frame or foam from 73-80. I mainly work with the 81-87 seats, so I am getting to know these seats pretty well.
Now your options could be, keep the 81-87 seat. The foam looks good and you could put a rebuild kit under the foam, just for good measure to firm it up. But if you want a period correct seat in your truck, then I can relate to that. I would call the place where you got the cover & foam from. Maybe they will accept taking the items back in return for a cover for the 81-87.
I really wish someone else can chime in on that other frame, to see if it really is a 73-80 frame. I just can't honestly say for sure, because that maybe the reason why the foam isn't fitting. Send KrazyRay a PM and ask him to look at this thread, and see if he knows this other seat frame. He is someone that is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to these seats. I have asked him some guestions myself, And he can probably help us out.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote