View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
wpavlis

Saginaw 3 speed speedometer gear removal

So I need some help and I am sure the gurus on here will have an answer. I have a 3 speed saginaw transmission in my 68 c10. This was my grandfathers truck, and then my uncles. To the best of my knowledge it has never been rebuilt. I pulled it to rebuild the motor and decided to take it apart and replace the bearings. I have never worked on a transmission before but it didn't look overly difficult. I was following the directions in the factory overhaul manual and everything was going fine. Messy, but fine. I got it this far:

Name:  P1010837.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  37.1 KB

Now I need to remove the rear bearing to replace it. According to the manual there is supposed to be a clip that holds the speedometer drive gear on the shaft. This needs to be replaced in order to slide the bearing off. Only problem is, there is no clip that I can see. The gear appears to be made of metal. I found a video and some pictures online (this site included) that show this gear to be plastic and held in place by a clip. How do I get this thing off? Or back on for that matter? I am assuming it is press fit. Below is a picture of the gear. Thanks,

Name:  speedometer.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  43.4 KB
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote