View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
SulphuriousSam

Re: Rattle Can or Primer before body work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
you will wish you had left it the first show you go to and see line after line of black trucks. its about as unique as a bellybutton any more. patina by nature is unique, no two trucks are the same. rattlecan primer isnt meant to be a weatherproof solution, so you will invariably have to sand it off when you do paint it.

I dont like rattle can flat black trucks on dented/rusty trucks, but single/two stage flat black jobs with finished bodywork are a cut above.
I realize it's getting to be a worn out look but I was thinking primer and I can't stand the grey that I see around here all the time. Now after what you told me about primer not being weatherproof (I'm a novice...I didn't know that!) well I'm leaning towards a paint and that gives me options.

I would prefer not to have a rattle can paint job but in Oklahoma it does rain and I plan on driving this truck it's not planned to be a show queen so I gotta preserve the body somehow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoh View Post
The only real problem with doing that is that it'll permanently fark it up. But if it'll make your wife happy ...
Happy wife...i keep the truck. Pissy wife....lose my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Rattle can primer is essentially old school lacquer primer, and it is porous. So if you sand down the truck and spray it with spray can primer it’s going to get rustier. If you decide to spray it later with catalyzed automotive paint, all the lacquer will have to come back off or the hardened paint will lift it. Regular flat or satin black (or any other color) paint will coat the surface and keep it from rusting, but it will also have to come off if catalyzed paint is going on.

I did mine with John Deere Blitz Black which is just unhardened synthetic enamel like Rustoleum, but it is paint not primer. I needed something cheap that didn’t require disassembling the whole truck again, and this fills the bill for my needs, since it will remain this way as long as I own the truck.
I will look into the Blitz Black idea. I didn't know about primer not really protecting the metal. I learn something new everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddr View Post
I went with rattle can olive drab on my daily driver/beater VW. It looked a lot better than the beat up white paint it had before (my wife also likes it better). The only down side is it will start to oxidize after a couple years, a washing with a scotchbrite pad will bring it back to life for a little while but you will eventually have to respray it.
I think that looks pretty cool actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
Trade the wife....
Keep the truck
Uhm...I'm still upside down on the wife. The trucks paid for!

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote