Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #1968
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Take a look at out 73-87 FatBar rr suspension kits. - you do have to weld brackets to the axle.

***My 87 has CPP tubular uppers with Moog BJ's, completely rebuilt lower arms with 1" Belltech springs and I have a 1-3/8" sway bar that I have not installed yet. All of the other front suspension is brand new. The truck rides great in the front but HORRIBLE in the rear. Like really hard. I know it's an old truck and won't ride like a caddy but this is to the point where I think something is very wrong with the rear leafs or there is some kind of bind.***

Probably not in a bind, just how it was made. a 1/2 ton was expected to carry 1000 lbs of cargo, + 150 lbs of tools/support gear (GM spec) AND three (yes three) adults (so another 600 lbs. You could est that 1/2 of the weight of people and tools would be carried on the front suspension (so about 375) but then they built the rear to carry another 1375 ABOVE the empty truck. (not counting the overloads, or HD trailer springs). You need to reduce the spring rate if you want it to ride good. you can try pulling a leaf or two. One of the longer ones and a shorter one. a little wrench time, but no $$. (well, probably a new center bolt) - you can use an allen head cap screw.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote