View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #194
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

I figure its been a minute might as well update.

Lots of stupid little fixes and redo's lately.

I ran across a post from someone talking about how they've seen the center section on these cheap filters get sucked into the turbo so I decided I didn't want to be one of those guys so I swapped it out with an AEM dry filter. If anyone needs a cheap air filter lmk. It goes from 5" down to 3" with a little adapter.

With the truck idling I noticed that I was getting engine vapors out of the catch can pretty heavily. I double checked all my plumbing and came to realize the port on the intake I was using near the throttle wasn't under vacuum thus causing my issues. So I reworked that and its all fixed now.

I was talking with Brian Turner over FB about injectors and I brought up the SEP injectors I had installed in my truck. He said he his tuner friends had seen issues with them and wouldn't tune cars with them. I was hesitant to just take his advice about not running them just because of how many people have had great success with them. I sent an email to a guy that cleaned and flow test a lot of injectors and asked him his opinion. He said he'd seen issues with them... So I went ahead and ordered and installed a set of Dekas. I should have bought these from the get go as they were barely more expensive than the SEP's. So if anyone wants some EV6 80's for cheap lmk.

I modified my fuel rail hold downs because the new injectors were taller than the old ones. Worked out well instead of using stupid spacers.

I wanted to get my ac lines made up and routed. I was able to reuse the larger hose and one specialty fitting. I ordered some of the smaller hose and new fittings from cold hose. Craig from here on CR let me borrow and crimper. Super simple. Assuming they seal. lol.

The only issue I had was installing the one on the compressor. It sits so close to the frame there was no way to get a wrench in there to tighten it. So I drill some small holes in the nut and used a punch and hammer to tighten them down. Worked great. I just need to swap the dryer and charge the system.

I took the truck out Saturday to bomb around and realized the truck was only making about 3psi. Which was sorta ok to do some data logging and make sure everything was working fine. I think it was faster on 3psi than the BBC was at full tilt.

I have about a 7lb spring in the waste gate so I had to have a plumbing issue for it to make less than gate. So I doubled checked my lines and realized they were switched. So I took it out Sunday morning and made some boosty boost. Truck is running around 11-12 psi on the requested 8psi through the holley. Everything looks good though. I have it setup on closed loop boost control so I guess I need to mess with the PID stuff and try to get it to match my requested level. I have boost cut set to 12psi so it must be coming in right under that. The datalog isn't really showing a duty cycle change so Im not sure what's going on. I've never messed with that stuff.

Here's a crappy video.

https://youtu.be/MzrmJQrKi8A

The truck feels pretty amazing at its current level. Timing and AFR is pretty conservative since Im just some dumby playing above my pay grade but it pulls pretty hard. It makes enough power to tire fire if you want but not just blow them off anytime the pedal goes down. Its kinda quiet with the full exhaust and intake but maybe it'll get a loud valve at some point. For now its fine.

I am getting some weird noise from the trans. It sorta did it previously but seems a little worse now with the new converter. In 4th gear at low'ish speeds under light load the trans makes a weird slipping noisy. Its worse if the converter is locked up. I can't put my finger on it. You can kinda feel it when the truck is idling in park but can't really hear it. Its strange. Im not sure where to go with it. Ill double check the fluid level again. Maybe pull the pan soon and see if anything "falls" out and take a look at the fluid.

Anyway,

The truck finally got a bath yesterday after all the work over the winter. Cleans up nice.