View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #558
newtious

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy1968 View Post
Can anyone tell me the fix to the positive camber problem that stems from using the 88-98 spindles on the 68 crossmember? I did all the steps and used the parts from the thread and my truck has HUGE positive camber without any shims. There was another thread that discussed this problem but no fix was explained. In my mind either I need to switch to 73-87 upper control arms and use the MOOG offset cross shaft to move the upper control arm inward or relocate the upper ball joint inward.
I did this too.. used linkage from my 98 that i was scrapping.. easiest.. fastest.. cheapest.. was for me to pull the upper and lower control arms off a 73 to 87 and grab the steering linkage from the same doner.. i never got the allignment right with any parts after 87.. i drove it for a week scrubbin the edges off my tires and i mean it realllllly pulled once you turned the slightest bit.. i welded the adjusters cause the threads didnt match.. i lived about 5 blocks from the shop and was sweatin the entire trip home and back.. i dont reccomend driving it like it is.. and i feel stupid for doing it as i know better..

You dont need the cross member .. unless you changed yours.. i have a 68 c10 and a 68 c20.. the upper and lower from the square bodies bolted right up to my 68 c20 cross member.. and it measured up with the c10 also.. and the guy at the allignment shop said hes never seen one of the old trucks line up so well! So thats a perk..

If you plan on dropping the thing.. just buy the spindles and rotors you want online.. i had a low budget after rebuilding the 98 parts.. just know that there is a known clearance issue with stock rims hitting the brake caliper if you lower it.. the spindles and discs usually cost extra at the used yard.. and rotors are usually rusted to **** from sitting.. but the calipers are wort pricing the core on.. having old ones you picked up for 20 each saves the core of 40 each.. (im canadian.. pricing is likely off for you) if you buy used spindles.. inspect them for wear..

Hope this helps..
newtious is offline   Reply With Quote