View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #145
Grizz1963

Re: Martin's mi-STRESS, 1965 Long Fleetside C10 "Rebuild in ENGLAND"

Hi Martin, thought I would just copy and paste on here, as it is relevant to your build too.

I had forgotten about my MOT expiring this month, so when Nicola reminded me it was panic stations for a while.

Last weekend Martin came over and sorted out the side lights wiring etc.

This lead to me ordering in a full replacement wiring harness from the USA. £145.00 well spent I think.

So today I followed Martin who had his Mercedes booked in for MOT to a testing station, after which we were going to a spares warehouse.

Happy to say the truck passed its test (not that I had any concerns)

The tester commented that he thought it was a lovely bit of kit and he looked forward to testing it again once restored.

The station operates on a 1st come first served basis, so we were there by 08.10 for an 09.00 spot.

CHEEKY MONKEY, MARTIN suggested I just weigh in the truck for scrap as we were next to a scrapyard.

Up on the ramps and on with business.

After the test we went spares shopping, and I bought some long reach 1/2 inch sockets, a stumpy ratchet with 1/4 and 1/2 inch drive.

Then we went to Dartford to get some timber, taking a shortcut over the Woolwich Ferry. Only one ferry running, meant we had a 20 minute wait, but a chance to chat about the plan for the bits of equipment I would be building later.

Thames river in the background.

After the DIY shop, I came home with 12 meters of 6X2 inch lumber, and Martin went home to disconnect everything on the truck and remove his windscreen etc.

The design is a direct copy of a picture of one built by Pimpston65 in Corktown Misouri.

I came home to build a single handed cab lifter attachment to fit to the end of a 3 ton engine hoist which will be used tomorrow, and later possibly on my cab as well, If I do fool myself into removing my cab.

This actually fits just outside the door rubber ridges, stopping the cab from slipping off when you lift it.

This is the upside down view, imagine the diagonal timber is the boom of the engine hoist.

While I was at it, I also prepped all the wood for the cab trolley, onto which the cab will be mounted, I will also make up, or we may weld another 500mm raising table so that one can get to work on the sills.

This lot gets bolted together with 10mm coach screws. And then the wheels are mounted underneath.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Only problem is that Marin keeps on putting Carp ideas in my head, which creates more work for me.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote