View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 03:09 AM   #17
350TacoZilla

Re: New to me 66 c10 4x4

Yeah you might get lucky and it already have the part time kit installed.
If you have plenty of space in driveway\field\parking lot etc. the easy way to check if it has 4x4 all time still is with hubs unlocked try the different 4x4 positions on shifter and see if truck moves like normal, if it acts like it now has 3 neutrals in transfer case it does not have part time kit installed and the only positions the truck will move like normal in would be the two 4x4 LOCK positions.

If it does have part time kit than all the 4x4 positions will move the truck like normal with only Neutral not moving. Be warned the front shaft will spin in any 4x4 setting even if it has part time kit.

Stock shift pattern---------Part-time (I think.... its been 18 years since I had the np203 truck)

4x4 LO-LOCK -----------------4x4 LO
4X4 LO------------------------4X4 LO
N----------------------------------N
4X4 HI------------------------4X2 HI <----normal driving position in either full or part time, the 2wd aspect is hubs unlocked.
4X4 HI-LOCK-----------------4X4 HI

I hope I explained that OK as its easy for me to think the process through but hard to put into words. Like I said a ton of people throw locking hubs up front and then just run truck in 4 HI-LOCK so that it drives like normal but you can be damaging the case like that.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote