View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #1142
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Well Guys, sorry for the delay!
I had decided to design a console with cup-holders to house my stereo head-unit but after 20+ hours of messing around on the computer, I decided to toss my first design ideas into the garbage. I had mocked-up a full-size cardboard model of the console in an attempt to finalize the design before fabrication began....I am so happy that I did, because I hated everything about it!!!
It seemed that a full-on console gave me a feeling of being crowded with absolutely NO spare room inside of the cabin!!!
I have already given up all of the space behind the seat, and now I would be giving up all of the space over the tunnel too......Just for a stereo.

One of the things that I hated about the console idea with a bench-seat was that you needed a space between the seat & the console to allow for seat adjustment, which made things look odd when the seat was all the way back.....Otherwise, you couldn't move the seat to store things underneath very easily.
I went back to the computer and started over with my original thoughts, from before my elaborate mind took over to maximize things. I came-up with a new idea for a mini-console that travels with the seat, making the seat easy to adjust, and store things under.

There is a support that attaches to the bottom of the seat frame (without drilling) to support the "mini-console" and allow it to travel with the seat...Here is a pic.

I fab'ed the support from aluminum to be rigid & lightweight

I made a another cardboard model.....I hope that you get the idea!

I have already started the fabrication, and it won't be long before I have the real thing in place!!!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote