View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #38
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

I've got a great selection of Eastwood products sitting in my garage -- Rust Converter, Rust Encapsulator, and Chassis Black among them.

I'm still trying to make up my mind about Gr 8 bolts vs. frame bolts vs. rivets. I know a lot of guys insist that frame bolts are necessary when reassembling a frame because they have a solid shoulder and not threads all the way up, so they make full contact with the frame holes and don't allow any shifting. On the other hand, common sense tells me that I'm not going to be putting hundreds of thousands of miles on this truck and while it would be nice to put 8-10K a year on it, it won't be enough that Gr 8 bolts shouldn't be 100% safe and sufficient.

So if I take the frame completely apart to blast it, how great a concern is getting everything reassembled perfectly square? I mean, obviously I can measure diagonals, etc. and get it to what I would consider square, but is that close enough for truly proper alignment? I'm neck-deep in this project and yet trying to figure it all out at the same time. I've never gone this far with a project before and I'm relying on a mixture of advice from Internet strangers and just making it up as I go along.

Thanks,
Brent

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 08-02-2008 at 10:56 PM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote