View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #81
Brad54

Re: Finally caught a break NP440 / MY 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzoman View Post
GOOD NEWS everyone .!!! Its done and I DON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE this truck anymore ! WOW !
I have an feeling the gas smileage is gonna be awesome . The 292 loves it and its gonna last that much longer :-)
New seat , mat and floor jute was part of it since everything was out .
Had to straighten , re bend the shifter ....
Both trannies are the same EXCEPT that reverse is different positioned - left and up . (huh? ) yep . So that means the shifter HAS to be the matched one as far as I know .
Which one did you use, the aluminum case or the iron case?
I notice the bearing retainer on the iron case has been turned down and fastened with allen bolts. I had to do that on mine, too.
In the Mopar hobby (these transmissions are Mopar units, essentially), the aluminum case 4spd ODs have a reputation for not being able to handle a lot of power. They start to wallow out the counter shaft's hole in the case, and eventually fail. The fix is to bore out that hole and insert a steel bushing, and that fixes the problem. I actually have a slick-shift Hemi 4-speed in a Direct Connection aluminum case that came with that bushing installed.
The heavy-duty versions of the 4-speed (behind Hemis, 440, 340, etc) had an iron main case, and that one was bullet proof.
I read several years ago that there was an iron, HD version of these for the Chevy applications. After keeping an eye out for one for years, I finally found one at my swap meet for a price I was happy with. The problem, of course, is that it will not bolt to a factory '60-'62 bellhousing, so I'll have to add engine side mounts and a trans cross member for my '62, whereas I've got an aluminum case version with a Chevy mounting pattern in my Suburban now, so I was able to use the stock bellhousing and engine mounts.
The Suburban is going to get an engine upgrade, so I'll put the iron case in it with the mounts (348 Tri-Power!), the aluminum one with the stock bell will go in the K10.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote