View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

1960 Eaton rear diff?

Finally got around to draining the fluid on my rear diff this evening. It came out looking good, which is a bonus as this burb sat for fifteen years.

I'm debating whether or not to pull the cover and reseal it our just go with it. Being as it's a two piece, I'm in a bit of unfamiliar territory. Will both sides come of and will rtv work to seal it or do I just leave well enough alone?

The other question is what do I used to fill it and how much will I need? Any chance it could be posi, I tried testing it once and got a result I wasn't sure about. I'll check it out again when I Jack the rear up to do the springs and work on the rear brakes.

I'm pretty certain it's a 3:90 and previous owner claimed posi, but I'm doubting the posi. My understanding is if it is posi, I'll need a special additive, which I can add once I find out.

I thought I'd asked some if this before but can't figure out where and I need to refill her....Thought some things said 80 weight, some said tranny fluid....I run royal purple in my other trucks, not sure about this old truck though.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote