Thread: Welders!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #27
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Re: Welders!

I do not think you would have a problem welding aluminum if you stay thin either. Have not migged any Al yet but have been watching another class that is. Have been tigging some 1/8 inch Al. Takes a bit to start the puddle but the further ya go you either gotta lift up on the pedal or speed the heck up. Tig is neat but gotta say I'd rather use the Mig. It's much faster and does not take anywhere near the practice required for the Tig.

Tips I have: Clean your work with a dedicated stainless steel brush (do not want to contaminate the work) and try to weld as soon as you can, the oxide layer starts to reform immediately. The oxide layer has a higher melting temp than the Al. Make sure you get a dedicated liner for Al (don;t want to contaminate the wire). If you can, cut the feed hose length down. Keep the hose straight too. These 2 items will help eliminate birds nest with less friction on the line. Saw this kit another member posted (forget who so can't credit) http://www.wirepropellant.com/company.php looks pretty neat but think ya can get by ok without it. Far as gas, see above post.

On another note, I found a site with info from a guy by Kent White. http://metalshapers.org/tips/white/a...ding/index.htm He goes on and on about oxy-welding Al. I figure if they were oxi-welding Al on fighters in WWII, that is good enough for a low life like me. Reading all of this info got me to wondering.... what if I use the oxy-weld flux but use a wirefeed instead of a torch? Things that make you go hmm... The hard core guys now are wondering what's the benefit? Money! I only have a mig. I was doin good to get the welder and I lucked out gettin the tank for free. Another dedicated argon/helum tank or an oxy-acetlyne set-up is just too soon to justify to the Mrs.! If I ever get around too it, I'll let y'all know how it turns out.