View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
7 Devils

Re: LOL....customer truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I have seen it a few times in my life, but usually they corrected the high compression ratio with a rebuild. The best example that I saw from beginning to end was a friend at the time.

He had a idea that if he put 305 heads which were mildly ported/cleaned up with a cartridge rolls on a 350. The idea was the high velocity would help torque, and thusly help improve mpg. At the rpm he drove 2200-2500rpm. It would also fall flat at 4300-4500 rpm, but wow it had some torque. Also it would idle at 600 rpm like a dream, and started almost like a fuel injected car. Quite a few of us got into the experience, and we were lending him various items to try out. Things like ram air intakes, velocity stack style, 4 inch tall filters, and Holley vs Q-jet.

I don't remember the details, but it did work out quite well for him. It was something like 9-1 comp, 1.5 inch long tube headers, advanced cam timing, and highly detailed build. The cam was similar to a comp 265 where it usually has a factory 4* advance, but he put it to 6*. The rear end was a 2.47 gear swapped into his 10 bolt. I don't remember what the final version ended up being as it went through a few variations, and parts changes looking to fully dial it in. In the end with a TH350 auto he could get 25 mpg highway doing 60, and 22 doing 70.

He lived in San Gabriel, and worked in Mira Loma as a diesel tech. His first real job, and starting out. Since it was a longer drive, and he needed a new engine anyways. The whole build started coming together. Back then overdrive transmissions we're very expensive so he tried this way.
This one is a monster to 2800, but after that it goes away quickly. I don't think they have been ported and even so they would still be garbage. These are the 58cc "saddle" casting. 130 cc intake runners.
I've seen it before too, just been awhile.
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote