View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Need A Key For Your Suburban Tailgate Lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DRIVER View Post
I need help too, LockDoc. I just picked up a 72 Suburban, and the ignition and front doors are keyed the same, the key slides in the rear lock. but the button stays popped out, the PO added a hasp he riveted into the hatches. the access door is missing so I can see inside. The tailgate opens when the button is pushed but the hatch never locks. What do I need to do to make the button work again?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the "key slides in the rear lock. but the button stays popped out". The key doesn't have anything to do with whether the button pushes in or not. If you insert the key into the key hole can you turn the key in either direction? Be sure and spray some penetrating oil into the key hole before you try it. (not WD-40) Make sure the key is in all the way and the button is not pushed in when you try to turn it. Oh, and don't force it, you will screw up the tumblers in the lock cylinder.

My Burb has barn doors so I'm not familiar with how the hatch and gate work together. I just picked up a gate and hatch yesterday so I will look at them in the morning to see how everything locks together...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-19-2013 at 08:40 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote