View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: swapping a 350 for the tired inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
Now days with gas getting up there the 6's are starting to come back into fashion....
I really like straight sixes too, but its a common misconception to say that your truck will get better gas mileage with a straight six vs. a V-8, especially a bone stock 6. Their mileage was pretty awefull. I drove a 230 I-6 with a monojet carb for 15 years. Super dependable, but not good mileage.

Dollar for dollar V-8 components are less expensive and more available, rebuild costs are less and if you look at the total package the V-8 saves you money once you add up all these costs.

And for resale, more people want the V-8, that's a given. Look at this poll: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=459050

That being said if you want the straight six go for it. And I am not saying you can't go with aftermarket carb's., aluminum intakes, exhaust headers, 6 speed overdrive trannies and highway gearing to squeeze out better mileage. Point is if you look at the total build cost, the V-8 is the most economical choice for a truck that will be used as a truck.

That's pretty much why V-8's are still being sold in trucks today, and straight 6's aren't. It is also why there is a > 4:1 ratio of people on this board with V-8's vs. I-6's.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 05-05-2011 at 06:29 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote