View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
leftybass209

Cab swap in CA CHP rant

So it's no secret that i'm adamant about doing things legally to avoid issues down the road. I've posted numerous times on cab swap threads about doing these things the right way.

So much for the right way in my case.....

My truck was made an SPCNS, special construction vehicle. It's a 71 cab on a 69 frame. The CHP said it has to be an SPCNS. I didn't think that was right, and looked into the matter further. Going to the DMV was a waste of time because they say, and I quote " Officer XXXX is the authority on these matters, we agree with whatever he said".

I showed them and the officer the DMV regulation that states " A specially constructed vehicle does not include a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts of modified from it's original design, [...] which is still recognizable as the original make".

It goes on to give an example that says, " Vehicles that are modified by a body change only, when the Certificate of Title held by the owner shows the correct make, is not registered as a SPCNS".

Even after reading this, the CHP officer says, " I don't concern myself with little details like that, the fact is the years don't match up, it's an SPCNS. I'm not trying to screw you, I want to make this right, but it has to be right".

I called every CHP office within 3 hours of here. Nobody will rewrite the paperwork, even though over half agreed that following the DMV regulation is the proper way to take care of the issue. I've also called some officials in the DMV regarding the issue, and neither has any jurisdictional control over the issue with one another, so it's at a stand still.

Therefore, i'm greatly sorry to anyone whom I've replied to in regards to taking care of cab swaps the right way. There is no right way apparently, and now i'm in the search for anything with a clean registered title to finish my truck.

Rant over, Merry Christmas
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote