View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #392
60-66

Re: The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Factory Correct Restoration Thread

A picture is what I need of the build sheet. Too many things on a build sheet to ask for.

Yes your engine is a 283 PG A.I.R. engine . Couple things , I looked over the one or two pictures I could find of your truck. Its a very nice looking truck ! I'm not putting it down when I say this next, but at some point in its life it was completely repainted , possibly engine compartment also, and obviously the engine.

I was looking for another clue but that did not happen. There were green 283s, but, they were installed in the larger c40-c60 trucks. They were much different than C10 engines. They, GM , actually raised up the water pump on some like the 1961 C60 283 I have, with special made bolt on adapters to get the fan in line to the radiator , also different things about brackets , pulleys and intake manifolds. All of those differences are WHY they were painted a different color though.

My GM parts book specifically says your engine is from a C10 only. Therefor I'm in complete agreement with OEM and Sodly , that your engine paint shown is not factory , it changed over time with chemicals to come up with a green appearance .

Also the correct name for the engine paint is really not Alpine green , its just Green. Alpine Green is a close match but a lighter color than Chevrolet engine green.

After what I've looked at of your truck , it seems very original as far as the parts it came with from the factory , that's a huge plus ! It would be a shame to paint the engine green , ( like painting a GMC V6 GREEN ! ) . Paint it Gray if you want it correct , there's no doubt in my mind that's how it left the factory.

As for the AIR engine, theres a clue on the build sheet or spid that may tell you if your truck was a California sold in state truck or a California export truck , its called " Engine Conversion " in which they plugged the exhaust manifolds for the AIR tubes and changed brackets and pulleys.

Nice truck !!
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote