Thread: 47-55.1 garage pics
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2023, 10:56 AM   #4
dsraven

Re: garage pics

what do you have for stuff to put in there? welder or 2, cutting torch set up, drill press, etc etc.
I have a 26 x 30 with a 10 ft ceiling and 2 big doors and find it crowded but then I am a heavy duty mechanic by trade so used to working in a large area
if you have a bare structure already, just a shell, and are wondering about how to set it up i would start with deciding what you will put in for tools and how that will affect the wiring. an air compressor and welder will need a 220volt connection but placement is gonna be an issue. if you plan to park in there then the compressor "space hog" my be best placed in a rear corner so it isn't in the way of walking around the vehicle with a bag of groceries. it could also live in a small building added onto the garage if that building were to be heated when or if it gets cold and freezing in your area. if the compressor will be a smaller 110volt unit then wire in a couple of 20 amp plugs in the shop for stuff like that and a table saw or other big amp draw tools. I have my wall plugs set above the 48" height so there can be stuff placed on the floor next to the wall and the plugs will still be accessible. a piece of plywood can be leaned up and the plugs can still be used. I have a 20 amp plug on each side wall about 1/3 of the way back from the front. I also split my wall plug circuits, like a kitchen is wired, so I can use a couple of different tools off the same plug and it won't blow that breaker. the plugs are spaced 8 feet apart so no extension cords are needed most times. tgere is a plug between the big doors and also an outside plug on each outside wall, along with an RC plug on one outside wall where I have a parking area. I have LED lighting strips along each side wall, down the middle and across the front. there are motion sensor flood lights on each outside wall as well a an outside light by the man door. my attic is a storage space (my trusses are spec's for added weight) so there is a makeshift floor set up 18" above the drywall to allow space for blown in insulation and there is a 2ft by 4 ft opening in the middle between the bays at the front for easy access with a vehicle in there. the attic has a couple of LED bulbs up there with a switch right near the hatch. have a big 8-0gallon compressor tucked behind the man door and hard piped to a hose reel on each side wall, one in the middle between the bays and 2 at the front. there is also a airline connection between the big doors to run a line outside if needed. my walls and ceiling are drywalled and painted with some pretty tough paint that will withstand some washing and the front wall is then clad with metal sheathing around the workbench area. this helps with cleaning but also keeps grinding and welding sparks from burning into the drywall. I plan to clad my sidewalls up to the 4 ft mark as well. my sidewalls have pegboard to hang tools and there are also a couple of the old fashioned tune up cupboards hung. if doinf it again i would use slat wall. I have a couple of lateral filing cabinets with drawers that have flip front covers and they are great to store tools like grinders etc. they are easily cleaned, hold a lot of weight and the drawers have good quality sliders. you can usually find then used for good prices ot even for free if you aren't in a rush. my workbench is a piece of 1/2" steel plate with pipe for legs and round steel plates welded on the bottom of 3 legs. the fourth leg is adjustable with a large threaded rod shaft that also has a round steel plate for a base. under the bench is a steel shelf where the jack stands live but that is only because there isn't any wall space left to hang them, lol. I have a couple of roller style tool boxes, one is larger and rolls my everyday tools around where I need them. the other is stationary and store the stuff that is occasionally needed and also too heavy to add it to the roller box and push around. there is a 220 plug at each front corner and a welder plug near the man door and work bench. my man door is offset to be 4 ft from one front corner. behind that door when it swings open is my stationary tool box, the breaker panel, the switch that disables my garage door openers, etc. I have a vacuflo system in one corner and a cabinet sandblaster connects to that. all the other shop tools are moveable and placed around the shop as space permits. even with that there is a 10 x 10 shed that is full of other stuff that doen't get used often
hopefully that gave you some ideas. [post up some pics of what you have to work with and you will gets lots of replies. will you be parking in the garage daily or is it going to be a workshop type scenario? I have a 2 cae garage attached to the house so my rear garage is my workshop. I park in it sometimes too, lol. it is where I run a small mechanical repair business so parking in there isn't usually available
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote