View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
niceguy678us

Re: 1972 Highlander 6.0/4L80E/LoMax

I found a set of Hummer H2 rims off of craigslist for 150 bucks, that I couldn't pass up. I had been reading all the tire torture tests in the 4x4 mags and on the websites. The Hankook Dynapro MT-RT03's always performed well on different terrains, had a good tread wear rating, and were on the quieter side at highway speeds. So I found a set in 35's for a great price from a tire shop that was closing down and liquidating their inventory.

In my research, I found out that 07-11 silverado center caps fit inside the recess in the H2 rims. So after a trip to the local dealership, and tire shop, this is what I had.

While I had the axles all taken apart I brought a D60 and a 14 bolt hub to my friends machine shop along with two of the silverado center caps. I had him mount the 14 bolt hub in his lathe, and screwed on the center caps one at a time. He turned them down in the middle untill they fit around the D60 locking hub.

I won't bore you with the axle rebuilding stuff, it's been beaten to death all over the internet on Pirate 4x4, Colorado K5, etc. But I will show you the after pics.
Front

Rear

This is the bracket I made out of stainless for the "T" fitting to bolt to.

These are the brackets I made for the soft lines to pass through. They fit between the leaf springs and the leaf spring pad. The hole where the soft line fitting passes through has been filed to match the "key way" so it is fixed, and won't spin in the bracket.

I put the truck up on jack stands and used my cutting torch to cut the rivet heads on the rear hangers. Then I used a hammer and punch to knock the rest of the rivets out. The DIY4X brackets then bolted up where the rivets used to be.

For the front, I did the same thing, except I installed the steering box and steering brace while it was all open, and I could reach everything easily. As well as the new front brake lines.

For the rear frame eye hangers I had to cut a new hole further back so the shackels would be vertical with the weight of the vehicle on the spring.

1959 Apache 3100 SWB Fleetside
2006 VTX 1800f

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=highlander
niceguy678us is offline   Reply With Quote