Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #446
SCOTI

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkersan View Post
Please don't shoot me for asking, but I keep reading about move it lower and back for better balance and lower CG. I love my V8s, but I also understand the potential power in a forced inducted modern fuel infected V6. Say something like a donor from a Camaro. Something like what Jay Leno did to his.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...6-to-sema.html

The reason I ask is this. All along I have planned on a 5.3 swap and later turbocharging it. Modernize the old truck for drivability and fuel mileage too. All this talk about low and back got me thinking about this swap instead.

Thoughts?
Anytime you're reducing mass over-all or optimizing its placement within the chassis, it will improve things.

An alum headed 5.3 will be lighter than a traditional sbc. Is the 5.3 you're referring to all alum or cast iron block/alum heads? The better idea might be the 5.7 LS1 or 6.0 LS2 as they're all aluminum & would help offset the additional weight of the turbo related equipment. You could also opt for one of the remote turbo set-ups that put the turbo out back. The alum motor reduces mass up front & shifting the weight of the power adder to the extreme rear can help balance things.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote