View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #78
6t9camaro

Re: 67 C10 "Green Gobblin" straight from the field!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
wow... nice work so far!

that's a lot of spot welds to remove. are you using a spot weld cutter or just drilling through everything with a normal drill bit? after that many i'm sure you have an opinion on what's the best tool. i'd be curious on any thoughts you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I'm drooling... LOL!

What type of spot drill are ya using? I have a cheepo HF one but the pilot is a drill that is too lone, i know there are better.
Thanks for the compliments/feedback guys!

Yes there is a lot of spot welds to remove and I have tried a lot of different styles of cutters over the years! I don't like the cutters that require a pilot or cuts past the panel to be removed! That just means more welding to fill another hole. What I use is a double sided spur point bit (I will attach a pic) and you can cut the spot welds off without damaging the backing material. If you get the hang of it you can walk the bit and chase the spot weld when there not exactly round or if you have spot welds that are close together. I use the 10mm bit for vehicles from the 70s or older (heavy gauge steel with large spot welds) and I use a 8mm bit for 80s and up with thin gauge metal and small spot welds. Hope that info might help out someone getting ready to tackle some metal work!!!
Attached Images

6t9camaro is offline   Reply With Quote