View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #16
57rookie

Re: Did HEI conversion - cant get truck to start - no spark at plug...

Thanks for input gentlemen.
So I looked at my truck which I have had for a month now and I see that ground wire from battery to front of head on passenger side is a bit loose at the bolt.
Also, there are NO ground straps to the frame so the block is not grounded to the frame at all.
I went out and bought massive one inch across woven steel ground straps 13" long and sanded the block and frame connection and installed to ground block to frame.
Then I installed a second strap to the back of the driver side head to the fire wire factory ground stud.
I changed the connector on my ignition only wired feed from the fuse block thinking the connector may be a little loose on the B+ male end of the latest HEI out of the box complete distributor I installed. It does fit tighter.
Then I installed all new 8.8 MSD plug wires to the rotor in the 18436572 order starting with #1 which is TDC on compression with rotor pointing at #1.
I multimeter tested from negative on battery post to the 12V wire I run to B+ on HEI and I have 12.38V.
Then I thought lets see how good my new ground locations are so I put negative of the multimeter probe on the frame bolt where the new ground strap is located and I have 12.38V.
Then I touched negative to the head bolt where my battery - cable and ground strap to fram is installed and 12.38V.
I then touched the negative probe to a piece of painted frame and got no voltage.
All this means I believe that I have proper block grounding now and I likely did not before since block was in no way grounded to the frame.
I admittedly am afraid to turn the key now because if this does not work I WILL be wicked cranky and at wits end....
I am thinking I may well have fixed it now with the proper block grounding but there is a rain storm and I dont what to work in the truck with the door open + Halloween kids coming by.
Wish my luck guys - I sure hope the proper block to frame and cab grounding worked.
57rookie is offline   Reply With Quote