View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
cadillac_al

Re: How to replace a points distributor with an H.E.I.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron350 View Post
Gregski I had a 72 LeMans with a 400 motor that ate up points every year or two. I went to the salvage yard and picked up a HEI distributor and cut out a red 12 volt HEI power wire that has the HEI plug on the end. I replaced the factory dist with the HEI and soldered the HEI power wire to the factory resistor power wire and the car ran great. Every one told me the resistance in the factory power wire from the ignition switch would kill the HEI or make it run poorly.

Twenty years later I sold that 72 LeMans and the HEI dist was still working fine. May be I just got lucky or may be the HEI will work just fine on less than 12 volts?
I did the same thing with My 70 Impala over 10 years ago. I looked for some kind of reisistor to eliminate and couldn't find anything. The coil wire was already giving me 12 volts, I think it was white, so I just used that one and spliced it to an HEI plug and it has worked fine all these years. Looking back I think the resistor s mounted on the coil and the wire going to the coil is 12volts. Check your coil hot lead and tell us what the voltage is.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote