View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #116
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Couple small updates.

Pulled the old long tubes off the truck so I could swap them out. Stinks as they are pretty much new but can't use them.

Decided one some Sanderson's Headers to replace them with. I was going to buy the black coated ones but they weren't in stock so I bought the bare headers. Once they are completely fitted and installed Ill pull them back off and coat them with some VHT.

The new headers fit pretty well. Once small spot on the LH side motor mount clam shell that needs clearance. Then on the RH side I need to crush the header tube just slightly to clear the clam shell. I basically used a large socket in the vice to make a pretty clean crush. Fits fine now.

My next step is to build the exhaust from the headers back to the mufflers. I've bought some elbows and straight pipe. Ill use that in conjunction with some of the old pipes to build the new stuff. I also purchased an H pipe kit from Summit so that I can implement that into the exhaust as well.

So this week I decided to bite the bullet and get a new welder. I've done little bits of exhaust work but always had a $hit welder so I stepped up my game. Its just a little 110v Hobart but will do upto 1/4" steel which is all I'll ever do. I already have gas so I can go to town with it hopefully this weekend.

I also got a few painted pieces back from the body shop. Everything but the hood.... They got it painted but it didn't turn out. They are having problems getting such a large flat hood blocked out and smooth without any defects. So they have to go back and rework it.

Anyway, I installed the new lower valance with the parking lamps. I had a little bit of a fitment issue on the LH side with the lamp fitting up next to the fender but I reworked it a little and Im ok with it now. Definitely cleans up the front end. I don't love the clear lenses so I may look into some amber ones at some point or maybe Ill try and tint them or something.