View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #68
Lugnutz65

Re: T5 T-5 transmission to 235 inline or V8 with 10 spline the easy way

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
so I can find a v6 s10 t5 for my 67 c10 which currently has a 250 /3speed and it will basically be a bolt in swap other than a shorter driveshaft?? Just unbolt at back of bellhousing and bolt t5 to it and make new hole in floor?
You have several options.
First, make sure it has a Muncie pattern where it bolts to the bell (see photo).
The FORD pattern will NOT be a direct bolt on. For the S10 T5, they have a Muncie bolt pattern from 1993 and earlier. For the Camaro/Firebird, it's 1992 and earlier for the Muncie pattern.

Option#1. One way to go is to swap the S10 T5 input shaft for a Jeep T5 input shaft. Follow THESE DIRECTIONS and the T5 will bolt directly to your current bell and you can use the 10 spline clutch disc you already have. This is what I always recommend because it's a stronger shaft and it's cheaper than any other option.

Option#2. Just keep the S10 T5 input shaft and use an adapter plate (around $160). Then swap the clutch disc for a 14 spline clutch disc.

Option#3 Carefully lengthen the splines on the S10 input shaft. About 1/2" should be enough. Then trim the pilot tip of the input shaft. You will need to use a 14 spline clutch disc.

Option#4. Get a 14 spline clutch disc and grind out the back 1/4" of the clutch hub splines. That will allow the disc to travel along the S10 input shaft just a little bit more. No spacer plate needed.

Quote:
And according to the chart, anywhere from 1352-170 to 1352-209 are the gm world class options?
1993 and earlier S10 T5 will have the correct Muncie bolt pattern.

Quote:
Do I need a 4 cyl input for the straight six 250?

V6 input shaft is swappable to V8 if I find a T5 for a 350 in another truck I have?
An input shaft from a V8 Camaro T5 will NOT swap into any other T5. It only fits a V8 Camaro T5. If you have a T5 from a 4 cylinder car or truck, you just follow the options listed above.

Any T5 swap you make will require the following:
- Shortening the drive shaft
- possibly modifying the e-Brake setup you have.
- Trim the release bearing sleeve shorter.

FULL T5 SWAP LINK

You may find THIS PAGE on my website has interesting reading about the T5 swap in older GM trucks.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote