View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #17
MARTINSR

Re: Starting a 52 Chevy 3100 Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
I already have a dad and the S10 frame idea was his idea but thanks for the suggestions as I have already weighed all of our options. There must be a reason why so many do this swap. Money, time, availability of parts, and engineering dictated our direction. The money part, the S10 frame will be free if not gaining a few dollars once we sell all the parts and the old frame from the 52. To upgrade the old frame it would need to be boxed, front end replaced(big money) and re-engineered, rear end rebuilt. All of this is I would guess would be in the $4000 range and a lot more time. The engineering part with the front end can get tricky and mistakes can happened very easily there as well. I figure the time put in will actually be shorter and cheaper when it comes to all of that. The S10 frame has been engineered and tested for many years. As far as finishing the project I have seen plenty of completely stock projects stall as well so that is not a very valid argument. I have a welder, plasma cutter, blast cabinet, and lots of tools. I'm not skeered. The 28 Tudor in my avatar has been through all of this. I did everything down to the re-wiring and had to modify most parts to make them fit as you cant really buy anything for a custom car. It took me about a year.
Understand that the most important question I asked is "what are your expectations of the truck?"

If it's rolling to the cruise night in town on Saturday nights and that sort of thing the S-10 frame is WAY more than you need, you know what I mean? That's my biggest question when someone is building a project car or truck, what are you going to use it for? I know in my case, I literally could drive a stock Model T every day, and in fact, a new Corvette would be a horrible waste on me, as 99% of it's miles would be BORING at 40 mph on city streets. Understand where I am going here?

That is the most important question, I wasn't questioning your skills. I have asked these questions before and guys have re-thought their plans. If no one asks them, an awful lot of money and work can be wasted.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote