View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
SCOTI

Re: 67-72 frame conversion for 63 Knee Knocker Cab and Bed

Quote:
i am using a 70 swb frame for a 63 cab and front end as well. if i am understanding correctly, i won't be able to mount the front bumper correctly w/o mods,
Correct. They are physically a different shape which prevents the bumper from seating completely & @ the correct angle. There will be some fabrication required.
Quote:
my radiator won't mount either using the 70 frame? i have the 70 radiator with me but i am still unsure if i will need to relocate.
The pre-67's radiator mount is separate from the core support. On the 70 frame, it's part of the core support. The 70 radiator could prob be used, but would require cutting some of your 63's inner fender wells for clearance. I'm going to just build a 'new' radiator mount (similar to what worked on the pre-67 frame) that fits in front of the core support once the sheetmetal is swapped or make it part of my 64's core support (like the post-67 setup). I will use the correct style radiator for my 64.
Quote:
are the cab holes in the right locations and its just that the rear cab mounts on the 70 frame are an 1" shorter so i can either add/make a spacer or just grind the rear mounts off and make new ones.
Correct. If I remember correctly, the pre-67 rear cab mounts were 1-1.125" higher vs. the post 67 cab mounts. A solid 1" spacer should work & then use shims as req'd to dial-in the cab/bed alignment.

One thing you didn't mention is the radiator core support mounts. My measuring indicated they were @ a slightly different height as well as fore/aft location. They also required some tweaking. You could mount the cab & then just relocate the mounts as req'd. I remember it didn't take much, but wouldn't work 'as-is' either.

The truck that I saw w/this conversion (@ a frame straigtening joint) didn't move the mounts & it was obvious there was something not right. The frame guy was trying to correct the body/chassis alignment issues & I pointed out to him I was starting a similar swap & what the differences were. Whoever did that swap, just wanted the body on there w/o regard to installation quality (round pegs can/do fit in square holes).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote