View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #11
95 S_Trucker

Re: Need emissions help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
You may have misunderstood the point I was making. Calif. always had the strictest smog laws as a 50th state vs. everyone else that had 49-state vehicles everywhere else. Why would my Calif. truck not have AIR when an NC truck required it. Only difference might be that my truck originally came with a 305 and I later replaced it with a 350. Could that be it?
It's not that NC specifically required the air pump. They just require all emissions devices to be intact. It's that the truck was being operated in NC. I can bet there are a lot more trucks in NC that came from the factory without air pumps than with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountie View Post
My brother in San Diego had a 305 in his 1990 Chevy 1500. Had a smog pump also. Possibly it was removed. BUT, notice this decal on my fan shroud.

" W/O A.I R.".... I am not sure what it meant. I assumed it meant A/C... maybe not. I can assume an off-road only truck did not require it by law?
BUT,....In this decal, the serpentine belt seems to bypass the A/C compressor, unless no smog, has the A/C located lower on the engine?

Hmmmm....
A.I.R stands for air injection reaction. It's the air pump/smog pump. It's purpose is to put fresh air(with oxygen) into the exhaust to help burn unburned fuel.

Op, can you snap a pic of your emissions label and post it? It may be on the fan shroud by the rad support or the air cleaner
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote