View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #96
Dave_The_BMXER

Re: 51 GMC 'Project Why Wait'

Ahoy there fellow AD builders. I am back. I actually ruptured my left Achilles tendon which took me off my feet for awhile but things are sorted out enough now for me to keep pushing forward on the truck.

As far as updates go, I managed to do quite a bit while I was down, but able to get in the garage. Because I still can't ride I've been spending even more time in the garage and things are moving along pretty well.

Picked up where I left off with more rust repair, this time on the driver's side

Got a little better at fighting the panels and picking and choosing where I needed to cut to make things work.

So naturally I decided to add more work to my plate and shave the upper cowl

Turned out pretty well, after my version of metal finishing

Not as dialed as some of you, but I shouldn't need too much filler... hopefully. I also test fit my column and made a lower mount for it using a bit of exhaust tubing and extra sheet metal

Then I went through a pretty epic clean up effort inside

Since these photos I have epoxy primed both sides of the firewall and seam sealed it all up. The plan is to hit the floor with Tremclad then rubberized under coating then call it good until I put a carpet on it.

On the other (pretty side) I'll lay down an initial coat of fiber glass filler, before moving on to standard filler and sand it all out.

The firewall, jambs, upper back wall of the cab etc will all be done at a shop, the rest in my garage.

Few more photos of the work between my last update and now can be found here.

Fingers crossed my motor comes home tomorrow too.

Last edited by Dave_The_BMXER; 07-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Dave_The_BMXER is offline   Reply With Quote