Thread: Tie plates
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #1
Matt_50

Tie plates

1950 3100. Stock rear springs with a chevy 10 bolt axle.

I think I'm over thinking tie plates. I just lowered the front of my truck and I started eye balling the rear axle afterward. I threw the axle on after rebuilding/new bushings in rear suspension so that I could roll it over to the concrete and get the engine in. Donor truck almost completely gone now and I didn't want engine sitting outside.

Anyways. I gotta cut off old seats and make tie plates. Getting axle back off is no problem, so it hadn't been a priority, but I think it should be next. I did not flip springs. Instead I bought offset perches meant to center axle. Haven't thrown bed on to double check this, but I will just in case before removal and welding of perches.

Bed goes on, double check center for axle and I can mock up fuel tank with bed in place. Sounds fun right?

The spring center bolt is off center... With axle on, directly underneath we have a tiny bottom leaf that is not long enough to be under all of axle. So tie plate would be partially on bottom leaf and partially off it. Is that ok? At least that is what I see in my head unless the u bolts can be at an angle. See? I think I'm overthinking it.

Bad pic, just shows top perch has gotta come off. It's wider than original leafsprings. And it looks funny. I'll post better pic of underneath tomorrow.