View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Average Joe

Re: 1971 402 Big Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigowl View Post
I was thinking about doing a Holly EFI kit for reliability. How much HP gain am I likely to achieve with these various modifications. The local machine shop had suggested cleaning up / polishing existing heads. How much benefit do I achieve with aluminum heads. My sense is the motor from the factory was around 240 hp net (300 gross) and had a torque rating of 400.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would guess 50-60 more HP. It really depends on how radical you want to go with the cam and intake. The thing to remember here, HP gains usually come with rpm gains. Meaning that 50 HP will likely be 500 or more RPM higher than what is stock.

You could probably go much wilder with cam timing and compression and see 400 HP with your stock heads. However, you will also kill power at a lower RPM if you choose this route. Personally I love low RPM torque and throttle response.

The beauty of aluminum heads is their ability to dissipate heat quicker than cast iron. This allows a higher compression ratio on lower octane fuel. Higher compression, without having to increase cam duration, = efficiency.

Please remember you are trying to push a 5000lb brick here not a 3000 lb drag car. Think low end & mid range torque for max smiles per mile!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote