View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
focusedontheprize

Re: 1949 Chevy 3100 - the journey begins

I do not like rust. I hate it.

So with the frame being bare and my parts on the way my father asked me when was I plan on assembling the front end again. He then looked at my reaction and without me even saying a word he goes "That rust is bothering you isn't it?". You can bet your a** it is. That had to go.

So with some help of my old man and my buddy we moved the frame down to another location where I could prep it and paint it. I was going to originally get it blasted, but I then wanted to POR15 it more than anything. So off with the flap disks and the drill.....

Before:

After (corner of my 1972 Challenger):

So for anyone who has never used POR15 before it loves rusts. So if you decide to put it on anything that is already rusty and you want to clean it up a little bit, make sure you don't go over board. I just "one three-ed" the frame enough where it was clean, but there was still exposed rust. You then will clean it, prep it and dry it, and I end up laying two coats on POR15 on it. It came out a glossy black and I wanted to tone that down so I headed over to Home Depot to pick up a few of their Rustolem Flat Black rattle cans and ended up with this look....

That was exactly what I was looking for and all my parts will be painted the same way.

Last edited by focusedontheprize; 04-14-2012 at 05:08 PM.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote