View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
fixit-p

Re: Ignition switch wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyFlatbed View Post
Ok thanks VetteVet and all u others. My generic switch has only 4 posts while the factory has 5. I dont have any ground terminals on my switch.

But that explains the fire, proportioning valve to hot on "acc". It put voltage to my ground.

Im just gonna leave the ground wires (brake warn and temp light) outta the picture until i get a factory switch. I just need to hook up my alt field wire to "acc" and get that other ground wire off. Thanks again guys.
IMO the ground function of the ignition switch serves an important role, in that it lets you know the brake and temp warning lights are working without that bulb check function the bulbs could be burned out and you wont know it even if your brakes go out you wont have any warning. You could still take advantage of the bulb check wiring with that generic after market switch you'll just have to use a relay to do so. Use the purple wire to trigger the relay (terminal # 86) ground out terminals 85 & 30 and connect the tan and green wires to terminal 87. That way whenever you crank the engine it also energizes the relay and grounds out terminal 87 (bulb check).

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote