Thread: 84 c10 stepside
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #60
jpnh

Re: 84 c10 stepside

i was reading a thread on here that said the trick is to clamp the new cab corner over the old one and cut them both at the same time ensuring the same line. sounds right. on mine i estimated where i thought the metal on the cab was good enough and ground the paint off a few inches you dont want any paint or rust in your welds. same with the new panel gonna want to grind the edp back a little from the edges then i estimated where to cut my new panel cut the new one laid it over the old cab corner and drew a line across then cut the cab corner off the truck with the sawzall with a new metal blade. i didnt know the cut m both at the same time trick at the time. be carefull and you can cut the outer cab corner and save the inner cab corner its spot welded on in a couple places and a couple rivets on the bottom edge had to be drilled out unless the inner is too far gone you might have to replace it as well. yeah it was a pain to line them up. its a process of finding where the metal is still good on your original cab corners and rocker. getting the new panel the same dimension. i had to do some relief cutting grinding/welding at the door gap to make the new panel fit right also. the new panel is gonna take some modification, depending on where you get them some fit better/thicker than others-jeff

Last edited by jpnh; 10-02-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: didnt look right
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote