View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Ultrasummer

Oil Changing Woes

So I'm changing the oil for the first time on a 1968 c10 with a 307 in it. I see it has a canister type oil filter. When I take the oil filter off, there is no filter inside and there is no O-ring. Didn't appear to be leaking oil like crazy but then again I haven't had the vehicle that long. So I go to NAPA and get a new filter and it comes with O ring. I made sure there was no old O ring left in place. Nope. It's a bit of a balancing act to fit the O ring. Can't really put it on the metal housing of the canister unless I balance it there. When I try to place the ring up into the truck, it won't stick and keeps falling down. I get it to stick fairly well and it seems like it's in place but it's in kind of a precarious position. I tighten it all up. Add oil. Start it up and now have a lake of oil on my garage floor. Shut it down immediately and begin to scratch my head. Ok so.....probably that O ring. But there wasn't one from the P.O. Hmmmm. And I don't know much about these canister filters but seems like most oil filters have many holes around the perimeter where oil goes into the filter and then exits the filter thru the main canal back into the truck. This new filter I was given has no holes around the perimeter.....rather it has many holes on the sides with solid aluminum caps on each end (except for the main channel for the oil to return to the truck. It is such a close fit (the filter into the canister ) that I can't imagine how oil could enter from the sides. Seriously thinking about one of those adapter things to go to a spin on filter. Any words of wisdom?
Ultrasummer is offline   Reply With Quote