View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Keep my old SBC 350 or ditch it and get a Vortec?

If your rebuilding the Vortec you can have the push rod hole drilled out, and install a new cam with the pump lobe.

The Vortec with the roller cam will not be susceptible to low or no zinc oils of today like a flat tappet engine would be. Although you can change that in a gen 1 too.

Any engine rebuilt today from about the 50's on. Has a good chance if driven alot as in a daily driver. To make it well past 200,000 miles. Old engines were not the issue, but the oil offering very little protection to today's oils was. Earlier babbet bearings I have very little knowledge on. A friend I knew daily drove a flat head V8 1955 F1 for 12 years, and roughly 175,000 miles. Using the best oil he could get 10-20 years ago. Yes it needed alot of maintenance, but it didn't burn much oil. He took it everywhere mind you quite slowly, but he did do it. Even with the 5 speed OD he said 65-70mph was its comfort zone with the gears he had in the back. Which still allowed the truck to be a easy driver, and haul stuff.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote