View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Root2812

2016 Sierra Rebuild

Hi Guys,

I have been posting this on silveradosierra forum too but I really like this forum and want to see what you guys say and see what ideas you may have.

I've been driving an 86 K10 but I needed more cab space for the family and more reliability. I looked at newer trucks and couldn't find what I wanted with low miles in a price I could afford. Having built a few cars in the past, including rebuilding a salvage SUV for my wife, I decided to head to auction. When I was done I went home with a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT Crewcab 4x4 for $16,100 including auction fees. The truck has lots of options and only 12,000 miles.

NADA on this truck is $41,000 and I set two goals for myself, or project phases as I like to call them. Phase one is to get my truck driveable and start to enjoy it. Phase 2 is to make it finished. The target is to have this truck finished for less than 60% of retail. That puts my goal at $24,600. Yes it has a salvage title but for a $16,000+ savings I really don't care and neither does my insurance company, GEICO already let me put full coverage on it. The salvage brand will be replaced with a rebuilt title brand when the truck is repaired and won't matter one bit unless I go to sell the truck which I don't plan to do until its very worn out many years from now. Even then it will sell around 50-60% of retail which will be the cost I have in it. Its a trade off, spend 100% retail and sell later at retail (what ever that is then) or spend 60% and get 60%, Basically a wash.

I can answer a few questions for you guys about having a rebuilt vehicle (insurance claims, titles, ect) but we can save that for later and just focus on the build. This is not the first time I have done this and it probably won't be the last. Rebuilding your own cars can save a ton!

So with that let me introduce my truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by Root2812; 06-18-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote